3 Extremely Useful Resources to Learn All About Root Canals
You’ve been told you need a root canal, and understandably, you now have questions: What exactly IS a root canal? Is it going to hurt? What can you expect when you go in for treatment?
We want to make it easier on you, so we’ve rounded up some great online resources that will help answer the questions you need answers to.
1. Read about root canals and learn what to expect
The American Association of Endodontists has included a plethora of information about the root canal (or endodontic) treatment on one handy webpage. You’ll find many answers to your questions here, including:
- What is a root canal?
- What exactly is involved in the treatment?
- Why would you need the treatment?
- What are the symptoms?
- What happens to the tooth after the treatment?
- Will you need to get a crown?
- Will your tooth need any special care afterward?
You’ll also find another page dealing with Root Canal Myths. Here, three myths are debunked, including the common misconception that root canals are very painful. The truth is, when you need this treatment, you’re already in pain, so it actually brings much-needed relief. On top of that, anesthetics and other modern techniques make root canal pain on par with other basic dental procedures, which is not very high. Yay!
Read the articles: Root Canals Explained | Myths About Root Canals and Root Canal Pain
2. View illustrations of root canal treatment
Do you want to see the steps of a root canal without a lot of reading? Go to the Colgate Oral Care Center website and quickly view the steps of this treatment in seven simple illustrations.
These images will help you visualize the answers to these questions:
- Where is the infection in my tooth?
- What does it take to deal with the infection?
- What tools will be used to remove the infection?
- What materials will be added?
- How will the tooth be rebuilt?
View: Illustrations: Root Canal Treatment From Start To Finish
3. Watch a 3-minute video showing how a root canal treatment is done
Once again, the folks at American Association of Endodontists have produced a great resource to learn about root canals. Watch their helpful video below:
Quickly go to any section of the video that you’re curious about by using the quick jump guide below. Just move the progress bar slider to the specific spot in the video:
- 0:36 – What is Endodontics?
- 0:43 – What is an Endodontist?
- 1:05 – What and where is your tooth pulp?
- 1:24 – Why does the pulp need to be removed?
- 1:38 – What are the steps of root canal treatment?
- 2:23 – What follow-up procedure will still need to be done?
Yes, the news that you’re in need of a root canal may ruin your day, but having helpful resources can really go a long way! Being informed will help you make the right treatment choice. Having answers to your root canal questions can also allay your concerns and calm your fears.
Do you have a favorite resource that has taught you helpful information about root canals? Please tell us about it in the comments below!
The content on this blog is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of qualified health providers with questions you may have regarding medical conditions.
Re-posted with permission. Source.